“One of the Best British Houses to book for the year ahead”
– Conde Nast Traveller
“A fantastic pre Christmas family celebration for 18 in superb surroundings”
“The kitchen is great, very big and well equipped
and lots of room for everyone to sit down”
“The owners have thought of everything a large group might need.
The quality of beds and linens really does make a difference“
“The house has an incredibly sociable feel to it
and yet there is plenty of space to retreat”
Monnington House and Cottage
Luxury self catering in the Wye Valley close to Hereford and Hay on Wye.
Awarded ‘Winner of Best Self Catering House in Herefordshire and Wye Valley 2016’ by Visit Herefordshire. In Conde Nast Traveller as ‘one of the Best British Houses to book for the year ahead’ and in the Express as ‘Luxury Cottage to hire for those big family get-togethers’.
The exceptional surroundings of Monnington House and Cottage always interests our guests – situated down a tranquil lane encompassed by acres of cider orchards you will find this beautiful house and cottage in a rural situation on the edge of a family farm in the Wye Valley.
Sleeping up to 18 in luxury self catering holiday accommodation. There are 9 spacious bedrooms with 9 bathrooms. The main house accommodates up to 12 guests and in the adjoining cottage sleeps a further 6.
The house receives guests from all over the UK, close to the M5, the Cotswolds and accessible from London, the North and South of England, the West Country, the Midlands and Wales.
- Idyllic location situated at the end of a peaceful and secluded lane on the Wye Valley Walk, close to the River Wye and close to 2 Cider cycling routes
- 9 bedrooms and 9 bathrooms with luxurious beds with fine Egyptian linen
- Well equipped kitchen with 4 door aga, 2 electric ovens, 2 dishwashers, 3 fridge freezers
- Up to 2 well behaved dogs are welcome in the house by prior arrangement
- Pub within 16 minutes walking providing a good menu to a set budget
- Local caterers are available
- Garden furniture for 18 on south terrace and garden furniture for 6 on east terrace at cottage
- Ground floor bedroom suitable for those with limited mobility
- Private parking for up to 10 vehicles
- The region is rich in local produce, available from nearby farm shop and an excellent choice of fine restaurants and good pubs from budget to Michelin star
- Activities available nearby – canoeing, tennis, golf, spa treatments, white water rafting, riding, pony trekking, rock climbing, gorge walking, fishing and shooting, cycle routes
- Culturally rich – old and beautiful churches including Hereford Cathedral which has the Mappa Mundi, many beautiful gardens to visit
- Hay Festival – a staggering group of writers, filmmakers, comedians, politicians and musicians from all over the world
I organised a family reunion at Monnington for my husband’s 60th birthday. It was the most fantastic venue, with beautifully appointed accommodation, set in large, child-friendly grounds. The house had ample cookware, crockery, glasses & cutlery & the double ovens, dishwashers & washing machines meant that catering for a large party was easy to do. Online delivery of groceries/wine was simple to arrange & the local country store was convenient for other treats during the week. It’s walking distance to the local pub, the Portway, when you’ve had enough of cooking & the other walks in the area are beautiful, especially when the apple blossom is out. A perfect week.Kate